Ayurveda Articles ( Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
India tours Destination india Holidays India
According to Ayurveda kati pradesh is described as an important seat of vata dosha. In katigrah vata gets vitiated in its swasthan. Thus there is dushti of asthivaha srotas because vata is situated in asthi.
The causes of Katishool (low back pain) may be classified in the following ways:-
- SAHAJ (Congenital)- spondylolisthesis (gliding forward of the lumbar spine of the sacrum), sacratization of the transverse processes of the LS.
- ABIGHATAJ (Traumatic) – Lumbosacral and sacroiliac strains, prolapsed intervertebral discs, injuries to intervertebral joints, ligaments and muscles.
- SHOTHAJ & VRIDHAWASTHA JANYA (Inflammatory & Degenerative)- Ankylosing spondylitis, oseto-arthritis, rheumatoid A, tuberculosis.
- VIKRAT ASAN JANYA (Static or postural)- pregnancy and obesity.
- OTHERS (Abdominopelivic causes) – Inflammatory conditions of the ovaries and tubes, prostatitis, renal stone etc.
There is chronic inflammation in the articular cartilage, synovial membrane and ligaments of the joint which ossify after some time resulting in stiffness and immobility of the vertebral joints / katigraha.
- Kati vedana and kati graha/ low back pain and stiffness
- Alpcheshta / movement limitations
- Chest pain aggravated by breathing results from involvement of costovertebral joints.
- Kubjata / Kyphosis may develop.
It is classified as primary if aetiology is unknown and secondary when degenerative joint changes occur. Articular cartilage is lost altogether in areas of maximum mechanical stress exposing the hardened underlying bone.
- Pain first intermittent and aching later movement becomes limited.
- Crepitus may be felt or even herd.
- Pain in the areas supplied by the nerves originated from effected vertebral joints.
According to Ayurveda it results due to accumulation of ama (undigested food) in joint spaces.
Symptoms: -Swelling and congestion
Early morning stiffness
Diffused pain in lumbar or sacral region
Prolapse usually occurs in lumbar region. The nucleus pulposus situated in the centre of the disc herniates. If the protrusion is small it bulgs the pain sensitive posterior longitude nal ligament causing low back pain. If it is large it causes sciatica pain.
- To prevent occurrence of katigraha vata prakop nidan parivarjarn (avoiding the causes which increase vata) is to be implemented.
- Maharasnadi kwath, guggulu kalpas, are the Ayurvedic preparations which normalize the vata dosha and regenerates the tissues resulting in relief from pain and active movement of the joints.
- Sunthi is the best medication for ama pachan it clears the ama accumulated in the joints and other body parts.
- Extract of Moringa oliefera leaves has been proved to be anti-inflammatory in action. It showed peak oedema suppuration action due to the inhibitory effects on the release of histamine, 5 – hydroxy tryptamine and kinin substances.
- Kati vasti a Panchkarma procedure performed on the effected area.
- Decoction enemas and oil enemas (vasti) gives relief by acting at the site of the disease.